Top Social

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green

March 21, 2013


So after the major hype about this book, and after the label of being New York Times number one best seller, I finally decided to give it ago. After a day of wondering around town I couldn't avoid it, it was pretty much everywhere, it was definitely a sign for me to read it! So i'm going to try and write a bit about it, without giving too much away, if you haven't read it you are definitely missing out but I will be nice and save the major details! When I got back to my flat, I got into bed at 6pm, (the joys of student life...) with my fairy lights on and fully got sucked into this book. Green created characters that allow the reader to identify with, and it allows you to look at such major illnesses from a different perspective. Augustus Waters is presented to be the stereotypical, cliche guy character, whilst Hazel Grace is presented to be the stereotypical crushing-on-a-boy- girl character. Usually I hate this, I think its absolutely rank and overrated, but for Augustus and Hazel it really works. It is interesting to see how they both struggle with their own individual illness', yet Green presents them to have a positive aspect on their lives. At points whilst reading, I did go into the hopeful teenager soppy mode, of just wanting Augustus and Hazel to end up together because they seemed to understand each other so well, but Green plays this so well and drags it out to save the cliche soppyness. This approach makes it a far less cheesy read, which I literally could not put down until 6 hours after I had started it and finished it. If you want a read that gives you a different perspective on life, definitely indulge in this. It's predictable yet not predictable at the same time, why did this book have to end?!

p.s warning: you will be sobbing your eyes out

“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” 

Post Comment
Post a Comment

Auto Post Signature